- Also called New York State. a state in the NE United States. 49,576 sq. mi. (128,400 sq. km). Capital: Albany. Abbreviation: NY (for use with zip code), N.Y.
- Also called New York City. a seaport in SE New York at the mouth of the Hudson: comprising the boroughs of Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Staten Island.
- Greater, New York City, the counties of Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, and Westchester in New York, and the counties of Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Middlesex, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, and Union in New Jersey: the metropolitan area as defined by the U.S. census.
- Also called: New York City a city in SE New York State, at the mouth of the Hudson River: the largest city and chief port of the US; settled by the Dutch as New Amsterdam in 1624 and captured by the British in 1664, when it was named New York; consists of five boroughs (Manhattan, the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island, which was called Richmond until 1975) and many smaller islands, with its commercial and financial centre in Manhattan; the country's leading commercial and industrial city. Pop: 8 085 742 (2003 est)Abbreviation: N.Y.C., NYC
- a state of the northeastern US: consists chiefly of a plateau with the Finger Lakes in the centre, the Adirondack Mountains in the northeast, the Catskill Mountains in the southeast, and Niagara Falls in the west. Capital: Albany. Pop: 19 190 115 (2003 est). Area: 123 882 sq km (47 831 sq miles)Abbreviation: N.Y., (with zip code) NY
Word Origin and History for new york city
former New Amsterdam (city), New Netherlands (colony), renamed after British acquisition in 1664 in honor of the Duke of York and Albany (1633-1701), the future James II, who had an interest in the territory. See York. Related: New Yorker. New York minute "very short time" attested by 1976.
New York City
State in the northeastern United States bordered by Lake Erie, Lake Ontario, and Ontario, Canada to the north and west; Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and the Atlantic Ocean to the east; and New Jersey and Pennsylvania to the south. Its capital is Albany, and its largest city is New York City.