- having due proportion; corresponding.
- being in or characterized by proportion.
- of, relating to, or based on proportion; relative.
- (of two quantities) having the same or a constant ratio or relation: The quantities y and x are proportional if y/x = k, where k is the constant of proportionality.
- (of a first quantity with respect to a second quantity) a constant multiple of: The quantity y is proportional to x if y = kx, where k is the constant of proportionality.
Origin of proportional
Synonyms for proportional
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of, involving, or being in proportion
- maths having or related by a constant ratio
- maths an unknown term in a proportionin a/b = c/x, x is the fourth proportional
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
late 14c. (implied in proportionally), from Late Latin proportionalis "pertaining to proportions," from proportio (see proportion). Related: Proportionally.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper