- having due proportion; corresponding.
- being in or characterized by proportion.
- of, relating to, or based on proportion; relative.
- (of two quantities) having the same or a constant ratio or relation: The quantities y and x are proportional if y/x = k, where k is the constant of proportionality.
- (of a first quantity with respect to a second quantity) a constant multiple of: The quantity y is proportional to x if y = kx, where k is the constant of proportionality.
Origin of proportional
Synonyms for proportionalSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for proportionalcomparable, corresponding, commensurate, reciprocal, relative, comparative, equivalent, equal, even, correlative, harmonious, symmetrical
Examples from the Web for proportional
Contemporary Examples of proportional
But the outage has raised the question of what that proportional response would look like, and whether it would be legal.Cyberwar on North Korea Could Be Illegal
December 23, 2014
This is more important than it may seem because it only allows a two-week window where delegate contests have to be proportional.With New Primary Rules, RNC Panel Will Aid the Establishment in 2016
January 24, 2014
Of course, like any investment, the risk is proportional to the reward.Should Baby Boomers Invest in Bitcoin?
January 9, 2014
Benkler, a defense expert witness, testified, however, that Manning's leaks were proportional to the Information Age he lives in.Questions Over Judge’s Rulings But Little Hope for Bradley Manning
July 31, 2013
“These responses have to be proportional,” Maxwell told The New York Times.North Korea Threatens War, and South Korea Wants Revenge
Gordon G. Chang
April 11, 2013
Historical Examples of proportional
The discharge is proportional to the square root of the pressure.
Mental recognition is proportional to the intensity of consciousness.The Truth About Woman
C. Gasquoine Hartley
Proportional representation and preferential voting I have mentioned.A Preface to Politics
As before, the work is also proportional to the weight elevated.Fragments of science, V. 1-2
In the nature of the case there can be no proportional relation.Alcohol: A Dangerous and Unnecessary Medicine, How and Why
Martha M. Allen
- of, involving, or being in proportion
- maths having or related by a constant ratio
- maths an unknown term in a proportionin a/b = c/x, x is the fourth proportional
late 14c. (implied in proportionally), from Late Latin proportionalis "pertaining to proportions," from proportio (see proportion). Related: Proportionally.