- tending to make or preserve peace; conciliatory: pacific overtures.
- not warlike; peaceable; mild: a pacific disposition.
- at peace; peaceful: a pacific era in history.
- calm; tranquil: The Wabash is a pacific river.
- (initial capital letter) of or relating to the Pacific Ocean.
- (initial capital letter) of or relating to the region bordering on the Pacific Ocean: the Pacific states.
- Pacific Ocean.
- a steam locomotive having a four-wheeled front truck, six driving wheels, and a two-wheeled rear truck.
Origin of pacific
Related Words for pacificneutral, friendly, calm, quiet, amicable, conciliatory, diplomatic, gentle, peaceable, placid, serene, tranquil, untroubled, peacemaking, placatory
Examples from the Web for pacific
Contemporary Examples of pacific
Still, at least Macklemore sounds like a white guy from the Pacific Northwest.The Cultural Crimes of Iggy Azalea
December 29, 2014
Owing to its popularity as a pet, it has spread across the Pacific to China.The Buddhist Business of Poaching Animals for Good Karma
December 28, 2014
He was a young Army Air Force lieutenant whose plane crashed in the Pacific in May 1943.Dick Cheney vs. ‘Unbroken’
December 15, 2014
To break her self-destructive cycle and heal, she decides to hike 1,100 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail solo.Exclusive: The Making of Reese Witherspoon’s Golden Globe-Nominated ‘Wild’
December 12, 2014
There was a logic to it – many of the wines were from the Pacific Northwest, principally from Oregon and Washington state.Beer Countries vs. Wine Countries
December 7, 2014
Historical Examples of pacific
She sat quietly looking at the Pacific and thinking her own thoughts.Her Father's Daughter
The roaring winds of the Pacific make you drunk to begin with.American Notes
It washes its face in the Atlantic, and its feet in the Pacific.
They did not talk to each other on the Pacific coast about it.Latin America and the United States
He'd been in the Pacific a while, they say, and was a Jack-of-all-trades in America.The House Under the Sea
Sir Max Pemberton
- tending or conducive to peace; conciliatory
- not aggressive; opposed to the use of force
- free from conflict; peaceful
Word Origin for pacific
- the Pacific short for Pacific Ocean
- of or relating to the Pacific Ocean or its islands