- Carpentry. a power machine for removing the rough or excess surface from a board.
- Metalworking. a machine for cutting flat surfaces, having a cutting tool supported by an overhead frame beneath which the work slides back and forth.Compare shaper(def 2).
- Typesetting. a block of smooth, hard wood for leveling the type in a chase by tapping with a mallet.
Origin of planer
Related Words for planerairplane, craft, ship, jet, even, flat, plain, smooth, uniform, regular, flush, extension, degree, grade, obverse, footing, face, facet, sphere, stratum
Examples from the Web for planer
Historical Examples of planer
Later a drag of the type known as the planer will prove to be the most effective.American Rural Highways
T. R. Agg
He has no shaper or planer for the purpose, so that it must be done by hand.Practical Mechanics for Boys
J. S. Zerbe
There he met and married his first wife, Wilhelmina (or Minna) Planer.Woman's Work in Music
This instrument may also come in very handy when setting tools on the planer or shaper.Measuring Tools
The planer has led to the invention of a machine which dispenses with this skill.Inventors at Work
- a machine with a cutting tool that makes repeated horizontal strokes across the surface of a workpiece: used to cut flat surfaces into metal
- a machine for planing wood, esp one in which the cutting blades are mounted on a rotating drum
- printing a flat piece of wood used to level type in a chase
- any person or thing that planes