- an allegation made by, or on behalf of, a party to a legal suit, in support of his or her claim or defense.
- a defendant's answer to a legal declaration or charge.
- (in courts of equity) a plea that admits the truth of the declaration, but alleges special or new matter in avoidance.
- Obsolete. a suit or action.
Origin of plea
Can be confusedpleas please
Examples from the Web for plea
He later accepted a plea deal that put him behind bars for 25 years.
Schettino also tried to enter a plea bargain agreement, which ultimately was rejected by the Grosseto court.The Costa Concordia’s Randy Reckless Captain Takes the Stand|Barbie Latza Nadeau|December 2, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The mother also made a plea to the violent ones who wreak such havoc.11 Children Shot in Milwaukee, One in Her Grandpa's Lap|Michael Daly|November 12, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Instead, Kolko received a plea deal that allowed him to plea guilty to child endangerment.
He plead guilty in a plea deal and was punished only with five years of probation.
"It was your plea for me that give me the chance, Mr. Dewey," said Ben.Ben's Nugget|Horatio, Jr. Alger
He forbore again to urge any plea for himself, and once more she was obliged to interfere in his behalf.Dr. Breen's Practice|William Dean Howells
The Southern plea, if it is to be made effective, must be presented in a book.The Color Line|William Benjamin Smith
His plea was ill-health, and the King granted his prayer, appointing in 1688 Saint Vallier as his successor.The Canadian Portrait Gallery Volume 3|John Charles Dent
Solicitor rise and say: 'Please your honor, de 'fendant, Lindsey, put in a plea of guilty.'Slave Narratives: a Folk History of Slavery in the United States From Interviews with Former Slaves|Work Projects Administration
British Dictionary definitions for plea
- law something alleged or pleaded by or on behalf of a party to legal proceedings in support of his claim or defence
- criminal law the answer made by an accused to the chargea plea of guilty
- (in Scotland and formerly in England) a suit or action at law
Word Origin for plea
Idioms and Phrases with plea
see cop a plea.