- an allegation made by, or on behalf of, a party to a legal suit, in support of his or her claim or defense.
- a defendant's answer to a legal declaration or charge.
- (in courts of equity) a plea that admits the truth of the declaration, but alleges special or new matter in avoidance.
- Obsolete. a suit or action.
CAN YOU FEEL THE WEAL WITH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ?
Idioms for plea
Origin of plea
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH pleapleas please
Words nearby plea
Example sentences from the Web for plea
He later accepted a plea deal that put him behind bars for 25 years.
Schettino also tried to enter a plea bargain agreement, which ultimately was rejected by the Grosseto court.The Costa Concordia’s Randy Reckless Captain Takes the Stand|Barbie Latza Nadeau|December 2, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The mother also made a plea to the violent ones who wreak such havoc.11 Children Shot in Milwaukee, One in Her Grandpa's Lap|Michael Daly|November 12, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Instead, Kolko received a plea deal that allowed him to plea guilty to child endangerment.
He plead guilty in a plea deal and was punished only with five years of probation.
"It was your plea for me that give me the chance, Mr. Dewey," said Ben.Ben's Nugget|Horatio, Jr. Alger
He forbore again to urge any plea for himself, and once more she was obliged to interfere in his behalf.Dr. Breen's Practice|William Dean Howells
The Southern plea, if it is to be made effective, must be presented in a book.The Color Line|William Benjamin Smith
His plea was ill-health, and the King granted his prayer, appointing in 1688 Saint Vallier as his successor.The Canadian Portrait Gallery Volume 3|John Charles Dent
Solicitor rise and say: 'Please your honor, de 'fendant, Lindsey, put in a plea of guilty.'Slave Narratives: a Folk History of Slavery in the United States From Interviews with Former Slaves|Work Projects Administration
British Dictionary definitions for plea
- law something alleged or pleaded by or on behalf of a party to legal proceedings in support of his claim or defence
- criminal law the answer made by an accused to the chargea plea of guilty
- (in Scotland and formerly in England) a suit or action at law
Word Origin for plea
Idioms and Phrases with plea
see cop a plea.