- an allegation made by, or on behalf of, a party to a legal suit, in support of his or her claim or defense.
- a defendant's answer to a legal declaration or charge.
- (in courts of equity) a plea that admits the truth of the declaration, but alleges special or new matter in avoidance.
- Obsolete. a suit or action.
LEARN THE SPANISH WORDS FOR THESE COMMON ANIMALS!
Idioms for plea
Origin of plea
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH pleapleas , please
Example sentences from the Web for plea
There were even heartfelt pleas for consideration, before—what?
The veteran officer believes Garner might have survived had anybody heeded his pleas.‘I Can’t Breathe!’ ‘I Can’t Breathe!’ A Moral Indictment of Cop Culture|Michael Daly|December 4, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Sharpton spoke of the moment they had all seen in the video when Pantaleo kept Garner in a headlock despite his pleas.
Yes, this is the age of Twitter, where TV shows are saved on the strength of hashtag campaigns and 140-character pleas.
Yet despite his pleas, and perhaps because of his puns, I want to give him a hand.Reporter Miles O’Brien Lost an Arm but None of His Admirable Spirit or Wit|Kevin Bleyer|March 2, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Then they seek sophisms, excuses, pleas for themselves; they point to the good results which spring from them.Double Harness|Anthony Hope
His own pleas of tropical blood and so forth will not greatly avail.Essays in English Literature, 1780-1860|George Saintsbury
Other pleas were resorted to, but this seems to have been a favorite one.Women of Medival France|Pierce Butler
To all these pleas the advocates of the railroad had one unassailable argument—its infinitely greater speed.The Railroad Builders|John Moody
Feller had won the day for himself where a friend's pleas might have failed.The Last Shot|Frederick Palmer
British Dictionary definitions for plea
- law something alleged or pleaded by or on behalf of a party to legal proceedings in support of his claim or defence
- criminal law the answer made by an accused to the chargea plea of guilty
- (in Scotland and formerly in England) a suit or action at law
Word Origin for plea
Idioms and Phrases with plea
see cop a plea.