- having or exerting great power or force.
- physically strong, as a person: a large, powerful athlete.
- producing great physical effects, as a machine or a blow.
- potent; efficacious: a powerful drug.
- having great effectiveness, as a speech, speaker, description, reason, etc.
- having great power, authority, or influence; mighty: a powerful nation.
- Chiefly South Midland and Southern U.S. great in number or amount: a powerful lot of money.
Origin of powerful
SynonymsSee more synonyms for powerful on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for powerfulness
The powerfulness of the telescope depends on the size of the light-gatherer.The Outline of Science, Vol. 1 (of 4)
J. Arthur Thomson
The novel stirred me—not by its powerfulness, for it did not set out to be powerful—but by its individuality and distinction.When Winter Comes to Main Street
Grant Martin Overton
Humboldt remarks that a few drops of vegetable juice recall to our minds all the powerfulness and the fecundity of nature.Plant Lore, Legends, and Lyrics
A few drops of vegetable juice recall to our minds all the powerfulness and the fecundity of nature.Up the Orinoco and down the Magdalena
H. J. Mozans
I know nothing like it either in strength of colouring or powerfulness of effect.
- having great power, force, potency, or effect
- extremely effective or efficient in actiona powerful drug; a powerful lens
- dialect large or greata powerful amount of trouble
- dialect extremely; veryhe ran powerful fast
Word Origin and History for powerfulness
c.1400, from power (n.) + -ful. Meaning "of great quality or number" is from 1811; colloquial sense of "exceedingly" (adv.) is from 1822. Related: Powerfully. Thornton ("American Glossary") notes powerful as "Much used by common people in the sense of very," along with monstrous and cites curious expressions such as devilish good, monstrous pretty (1799), dreadful polite, cruel pretty, abominable fine (1803), "or when a young lady admires a lap dog for being so vastly small and declares him prodigious handsome" (1799).