- to intimidate or frighten psychologically, or make nervous (often followed by out): to psych out the competition.
- to prepare psychologically to be in the right frame of mind or to give one's best (often followed by up): to psych oneself up for an interview.
- to figure out psychologically; decipher (often followed by out): to psych out a problem.
Origin of psych1
- psychology, especially as a course or field of study: She took two semesters of psych in college.
Origin of psych2
- variant of psycho- before some vowels: psychasthenia.
Examples from the Web for psych
Psych was a show always keenly aware of its spot in the pop culture universe.I Watched ‘Psych’ For 8 Years and All I Got Was This Lackluster Finale
March 27, 2014
After close to a two-year wait, Psych: The Musical will finally air this Sunday on USA.Psych’s 13 Best Musical Moments
December 15, 2013
Why couldn't they find a psych bed anywhere in southwestern Virginia for Gus Deeds?Why Gus Deeds Wasn't Hospitalized
November 20, 2013
The “toy” starts feeling like an experimental prop from a psych lab.Toying with Realism
December 26, 2012
Waiting patiently in a line of at least 30 ambulances, Carrasquillo was to transport a psych patient to Mt. Sinai.Hundreds Evacuated From NYU’s Tisch Hospital in Hurricane Sandy
October 30, 2012
He was one of these psych guys that thinks if you say it's so, it makes it so.The Hated
Maybe it was that—but I was as confused as a mouse in a psych maze.Attrition
Would you mind if I spent an hour in Psych for reorientation?
I felt guilty over not going to Psych, but there just wasn't the time.
Bradshaw's psych check certainly hadn't hinted at any instability.The Unprotected Species
Word Origin and History for psych
as a noun, short for psychology in various senses (e.g. as an academic study, in student slang by 1895). As a verb, first attested 1917 as "to subject to psychoanalysis," short for psychoanalyze. From 1934 as "to outsmart" (also psych out); from 1963 as "to unnerve." However to psych (oneself) up is from 1972; to be psyched up is attested from 1968.
- Variant ofpsycho-