- to repeat the words of, as from memory, especially in a formal manner: to recite a lesson.
- to repeat (a piece of poetry or prose) before an audience, as for entertainment.
- to give an account of: to recite one's adventures.
- to enumerate.
- to recite a lesson or part of a lesson for a teacher.
- to recite or repeat something from memory.
Origin of recite
Synonyms for recite
Related Words for recitesdeclaim, repeat, communicate, perform, chant, explain, rehearse, deliver, enumerate, mention, recount, reply, utter, interpret, speak, render, expatiate, relate, describe, recapitulate
Examples from the Web for recites
Contemporary Examples of recites
"I shall consider myself Punk'd," recites a proud Ichabod in response to this unexpected lit confection.Naked Ben Franklin Christens the Campy Return of ‘Sleepy Hollow’
September 23, 2014
On Wednesday mornings before mass, he recites the rosary in a special prayer of liberation from the chains of the devil.Vatican and Pope Francis Seek New Demon Exorcists
Barbie Latza Nadeau
January 8, 2014
Camped outside the apartment, Buzdugan recites scenes from his favorite episodes, usually those in which Snooki beds a conquest.Jersey Shore Takes Italy
Barbie Latza Nadeau
May 24, 2011
A video anchor named Erin smiles like a prom queen as she recites the table of contents.The Daily: Rupert Murdoch's New Toy
Howard Kurtz, Brian Ries
February 2, 2011
In the video, Franco recites classic pick up lines in front of a mirror set to the sounds of some deeply thespian tunes.Most Memorable Kisses of the Year
December 30, 2010
Historical Examples of recites
And these are the sort of old wives' tales which he sings and recites to us, and we are obliged to listen to him.Lysis
There is one blind girl who recites most perfectly and eagerly.Out-of-Doors in the Holy Land
Henry Van Dyke
Every one recites the number of enemies whom he has conquered.Perils and Captivity
Charlotte-Adlade [ne Picard] Dard
Such is the race of which Liszt recites the epic in the "Hungarian Rhapsodies."The Pianolist
Bring your dolls along and arrange your groups, while Effie recites.Armorel of Lyonesse
- to repeat (a poem, passage, etc) aloud from memory before an audience, teacher, etc
- (tr) to give a detailed account of
- (tr) to enumerate (examples, etc)