- contemplation of the past; a survey of past time, events, etc.
- to look back in thought; refer back (often followed by to): to retrospect to a period in one's youth.
- to look back upon; contemplate retrospectively.
- in retrospect, in looking back on past events; upon reflection: It was, in retrospect, the happiest day of her life.
Origin of retrospect
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for retrospectingsummon, remind, evoke, cite, commemorate, get, recall, recognize, learn, relive, note, stress, prod, prompt, remember, mention, suggest, warn, admonish, caution
Examples from the Web for retrospecting
Historical Examples of retrospecting
- the act of surveying things past (often in the phrase in retrospect)
- to contemplate (anything past); look back on (something)
- (intr often foll by to) to refer
Word Origin for retrospect
C17: from Latin retrōspicere to look back, from retro- + specere to look
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper