- an act of improving or the state of being improved.
- a change or addition by which a thing is improved.
- a person or thing that represents an advance on another in excellence or achievement: The new landlord is a great improvement over his greedy predecessor.
- a bringing into a more valuable or desirable condition, as of land or real property; betterment.
- something done or added to real property that increases its value.
- profitable use, as of a period of time.
Origin of improvement
Synonyms for improvementSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for improvementdevelopment, advance, upgrade, recovery, rise, advancement, increase, growth, enhancement, progress, revision, renovation, change, gain, amendment, cultivation, elevation, augmentation, progression, upbeat
Examples from the Web for improvement
Contemporary Examples of improvement
And this constitutes a bit of an improvement over 10 or 20 years ago.Ebola and America’s Childish Narcissism
October 18, 2014
This is an improvement on the Permanent International Peace Bureau, Charles Albert Gobat, and Ludwig Quidde.Up To A Point: What We Really Need Is a Nobel War Prize
P. J. O’Rourke
October 11, 2014
To say that the past few years have been a watershed period of improvement for LGBT America is an understatement.Mississippi Is Hell for These Lesbians
August 8, 2014
No one will deny these schools' sexual assault responses are in need of scrutiny and improvement.No Rapes On Campus? No Way.
July 5, 2014
The women with the most severe symptoms experienced the most striking improvement; still others showed no improvement al all.Take ADHD Drugs to Treat Menopause?
May 8, 2014
Historical Examples of improvement
The improvement of time ought to be our great and immediate concern.Female Scripture Biographies, Vol. II
Francis Augustus Cox
It will be some improvement to mix the meal with milk rather than water.Directions for Cookery, in its Various Branches
If there's any improvement in Betty Graham to-day, it's because of you.The Fortune Hunter
Louis Joseph Vance
To these scanty means of improvement, she added another of her own contriving.Little Dorrit
And, indeed, his constant saying was: "There's an improvement already; be patient!"The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete
- the act of improving or the state of being improved
- something that improves, esp an addition or alteration
- alteration of the structure, fixtures, fittings, or decor of a building without changing its functionCompare conversion (def. 9)
- (usually plural) Australian and NZ a building or other works on a piece of land, adding to its value
mid-15c., enprowment "management of something for profit," from Anglo-French emprowement, from emprouwer "turn to profit" (see improve). Meaning "betterment; amelioration" is from 1640s. Meaning "buildings, etc. on a piece of property" is from 1773. Related: Improvements.