- characterized by uprightness or morality: a righteous observance of the law.
- morally right or justifiable: righteous indignation.
- acting in an upright, moral way; virtuous: a righteous and godly person.
- Slang. absolutely genuine or wonderful: some righteous playing by a jazz great.
- the righteous, (used with a plural verb) righteous persons collectively.
Origin of righteous
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Wordsequally, honorably, rightly, rightfully, reasonably, accurately, duly, properly, honestly, correctly, legally, equitably, legitimately, lawfully, decently, impartially, sincerely, absolutely, exactly, actually
Examples from the Web for righteously
And so Emmert, unable to rely upon the NCAA's rulebook for justification, took to the bully pulpit and bullied, righteously.Flawed Father Figures: Jerry Sandusky, Joe Paterno, and the NCAA Too
July 24, 2012
This mashup bids you examine whether you are righteously renegade in situations, or bucking authority due to old issues with it.Your Week: What the Stars Predict
Starsky + Cox
August 28, 2011
Righteously and honourably he would obtain them, if he might, or else forego them.Anabasis
The streamlet should run through the land of them with whom we are righteously at war.The Long Roll
How righteously they could be used we shall see in the case of Bernard.
If she wins, she will win squarely and righteously, and never have to blush.The Letters Of Mark Twain, Volume 4, 1886-1900
Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)
And know that we be of the race of Saturn, who do righteously, not by constraint, but of our own will.Stories from Virgil
Alfred J. Church
- characterized by, proceeding from, or in accordance with accepted standards of morality, justice, or uprightness; virtuousa righteous man
- (as collective noun; preceded by the)the righteous
- morally justifiable or right, esp from one's own point of viewrighteous indignation
Old English rīhtwīs, from right + wise ²
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for righteously
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper