- characterized by uprightness or morality: a righteous observance of the law.
- morally right or justifiable: righteous indignation.
- acting in an upright, moral way; virtuous: a righteous and godly person.
- Slang. absolutely genuine or wonderful: some righteous playing by a jazz great.
- the righteous, (used with a plural verb) righteous persons collectively.
Origin of righteous
Synonyms for righteousSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for righteous
Related Words for righteousnoble, spiritual, virtuous, ethical, pure, conscientious, upright, honorable, law-abiding, angelic, blameless, charitable, commendable, creditable, deserving, devoted, devout, dutiful, equitable, exemplary
Examples from the Web for righteous
Contemporary Examples of righteous
From righteous fury to faux indignation, everything we got mad about in 2014—and how outrage has taken over our lives.The Daily Beast’s Best Longreads, Dec 15-21, 2014
December 21, 2014
Perhaps more telling, state media called the attack on the studio “a righteous deed.”Kim Jong Un’s Kid Gloves Are Now Off
Gordon G. Chang
December 17, 2014
In the Jewish community, Christians who saved Jews from the Holocaust are known as “righteous gentiles.”The Straight Hero of Cameroon’s Gays
December 10, 2014
As righteous and honest as his anger may be—“They basically just filmed my riffs,” says Meltzer— it is always tinged with hope.Brad Meltzer's Passion For Reuniting America With Its Historic Objects
November 7, 2014
These grisly images drew a huge audience, and allowed that audience to indulge in righteous indignation.How the Media Failed to Nail the NFL
October 19, 2014
Historical Examples of righteous
Let me die the death of the righteous, and let my last end be like his!Female Scripture Biographies, Vol. II
Francis Augustus Cox
She seemed to be holding to it in the face of righteous judgment.Tiverton Tales
But mind, my most righteous and well-beloved, I will have no flattery.Vivian Grey
Earl of Beaconsfield, Benjamin Disraeli
We all have our righteous secrets, and should all respect the righteous secrets of others.A Spirit in Prison
God says, all the horns of the wicked will be cut off, but the horns of the righteous will be exalted.
- characterized by, proceeding from, or in accordance with accepted standards of morality, justice, or uprightness; virtuousa righteous man
- (as collective noun; preceded by the)the righteous
- morally justifiable or right, esp from one's own point of viewrighteous indignation