- going or proceeding rapidly at the gait of a gallop.
- taught to proceed at a gallop.
- noting any block of a tackle that moves.
- noting the part of the fall of a tackle that moves through the blocks (opposed to standing).
BEAT THE DOLDRUMS WITH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Idioms for running
- participating or entered as a competitor.
- under consideration as a candidate or possible choice: Who is still in the running for the directorship?
- among the winners or those making a good showing.
- not competing in a contest or race.
- not among the winners or runners-up in a contest or race: to finish out of the running.
OTHER WORDS FROM runningwell-running, adjective
Words nearby running
Example sentences from the Web for running
The running machines are a gloomy chorus of heavy-footed stomping.
Several Republicans won primaries in 2014 by running as ideologically pure conservatives who wanted new leadership in the House.
But the ads are not just intended to remind the Google-curious that Paul exists and is thinking about running for president.
AIDS insanity: When running for the US Senate in 1992, Huckabee called for a quarantine of people who had AIDS.
A running joke inside the tribe is that the group is like that club with a hundred people waiting outside to get in.‘We Out Here’: Inside the New Black Travel Movement|Charlise Ferguson|January 4, 2015|DAILY BEAST
On the 19th the pioneer boat, running some distance ahead of the others, was again upset by a wave.The Romance of the Colorado River|Frederick S. Dellenbaugh
The cross-head is a small piece of aluminum bronze, running on round guides that also serve as cylinder braces.Langley Memoir on Mechanical Flight, Parts I and II|S. P. (Samuel Pierpont) Langley and Charles M. (Charles Matthews) Manly
Porcelain bath tubs and running hot water were found in Hongkong, the first we noted since leaving South Africa.Seven Legs Across the Seas|Samuel Murray
For fully a week this running fight was kept up; then the two fleets came face to face with each other off the town of Calais.Stories from English History|Hilda T. Skae
Running from thence down the line of dots toward the center we reach Kan, immediately above which is the character for 13.Notes on Certain Maya and Mexican Manuscripts|Cyrus Thomas
British Dictionary definitions for running
Idioms and Phrases with running
In addition to the idioms beginning with running
- running on empty
- running start
- hit the ground running
- in the running
- meter is running
- off and running