- to state or set forth the meaning of (a word, phrase, etc.): They disagreed on how to define “liberal.”
- to explain or identify the nature or essential qualities of; describe: to define judicial functions.
- to fix or lay down clearly and definitely; specify distinctly: to define one's responsibilities.
- to determine or fix the boundaries or extent of: to define property with stakes.
- to make clear the outline or form of: The roof was boldly defined against the sky.
- to set forth the meaning of a word, phrase, etc.; construct a definition.
Origin of define
Examples from the Web for self-defined
Contemporary Examples of self-defined
Further to the left are the self-defined “pro-Israel, pro-peace” groups like Americans for Peace Now and J-Street.The Pro-Israel Lobby: Narratives, Not Money
May 2, 2013
People younger than 30 are disproportionately swelling the ranks of the self-defined lower classes.Is the Great Recession making Americans more class-conscious?
September 11, 2012
- to state precisely the meaning of (words, terms, etc)
- to describe the nature, properties, or essential qualities of
- to determine the boundary or extent of
- (often passive) to delineate the form or outline ofthe shape of the tree was clearly defined by the light behind it
- to fix with precision; specify