- expressive of or appealing to sentiment, especially the tender emotions and feelings, as love, pity, or nostalgia: a sentimental song.
- pertaining to or dependent on sentiment: We kept the old photograph for purely sentimental reasons.
- weakly emotional; mawkishly susceptible or tender: the sentimental Victorians.
- characterized by or showing sentiment or refined feeling.
Origin of sentimental
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
1, 4. dispassionate.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for sentimental
A good commercial Christmas song must avoid being too sentimental or too cutesy.Yes, I Like Christmas Music. Stop Laughing.
December 24, 2014
Northanger Abbey, after all, parodies the tropes and excesses of sentimental Gothic novels.The Birth of the Novel
November 27, 2014
While Kalman tends to mine the past for material, she is as irreverent as she is sentimental.The Singular Artist of New Yorkistan
November 14, 2014
The simultaneously upbeat and sentimental ode to friendship is equal parts funk, trance, pop, and R&B.The Swedish Queen of Soulful Pop: Mapei Won’t Wait for You to Listen
October 16, 2014
In another series, drafting a fantasy football team by the side of a fallen comrade could be sentimental, even borderline maudlin.The MVPs of Sleaze Are Back: FXX's 'The League' Ups the Degenerate Ante
September 4, 2014
Let us see if there is any foundation for this sentimental balderdash.The Man Shakespeare
This was the first time she had ever heard Martin ask for something as sentimental as a kiss.Dust
Mr. and Mrs. Haldeman-Julius
This country is absurd with its sentimental regard for individual liberty.
The public has a sort of sentimental regard for that fellow.
There was not a trace of sentimental expression to this absorption.Hetty's Strange History
- tending to indulge the emotions excessively
- making a direct appeal to the emotions, esp to romantic feelings
- relating to or characterized by sentiment
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for sentimental
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper