- sentimental tendency or character; predominance of sentiment over reason.
- weak emotionalism; excessive indulgence in sentiment.
- a display of sentimentality.
Origin of sentimentalism
Related Words for sentimentalismsentiment, mushiness, nostalgia, mawkishness, reminiscence, bathos, triteness, melodrama
Examples from the Web for sentimentalism
Historical Examples of sentimentalism
Philip was getting into a dangerous mood with his sentimentalism.Malbone
Thomas Wentworth Higginson
Dreaming wanes into sentimentalism, and sentimentalism is fatal to action.The Call of the Twentieth Century
David Starr Jordan
The gush of sentimentalism which had carried her away had only made her more alluring.Where Angels Fear to Tread
E. M. Forster
The excess of sentimentalism had given rise to the other extreme of naturalism.Mary Wollstonecraft
Elizabeth Robins Pennell
His sentimentalism had apparently not quite passed from him.Michael
E. F. Benson
- the state or quality of being sentimental
- an act, statement, etc, that is sentimental