- a person who sits.
- a brooding hen.
- a person who stays with young children while the parents go out; baby-sitter.
- a person who provides routine or custodial care temporarily or part-time, as for an elderly person or a pet whose owner is on vacation.
- Slang. the buttocks; rump.
Origin of sitter
- Wil·lem de [wil-uh m duh] /ˈwɪl əm də/, 1872–1934, Dutch astronomer and mathematician.
Related Words for sittercustodian, attendant, superintendent, sitter, assistant, therapist, medic, administrator, supervisor, chief, curator, director, manager, inspector, controller, warden, keeper, janitor, steward, overseer
Examples from the Web for sitter
Contemporary Examples of sitter
He wanted to design a seat that allowed its sitter to perch and pivot while chatting on the phone.15 Most Bonkers Chairs at Pop Art Design in London
October 23, 2013
Samaras rarely got an outright “no” from a sitter, but some people kept postponing their appearances.VIP Portrait Show
Judith H. Dobrzynski
November 12, 2010
The recession means wives are under pressure from their husbands who tell them a sitter is now a luxury they can't afford.Recession Marriage Wars
March 25, 2009
Historical Examples of sitter
But they are not allowed to dispose of the portraits of others, without the sitter's permission.The Film of Fear
For an illustration let us turn to the artist and his sitter.The Romance of the Soul
Long and dreary may be the days of the sitter, but the hour of his reward will come at last.Barrington
Charles James Lever
Not only have I had a sitter for this picture, but he is alive and hearty at the hour I am writing.The Fortunes Of Glencore
Charles James Lever
But the first syllable of the sitter's name has been its only constant.Holbein
- a person or animal that sits
- a person who is posing for his or her portrait to be painted, carved, etc
- a broody hen or other bird that is sitting on its eggs to hatch them
- (in combination) a person who looks after a specified person or thing for someone elseflat-sitter
- short for baby-sitter
- anyone, other than the medium, taking part in a seance
- anything that is extremely easy, such as an easy catch in cricket
- Willem de (ˈwɪləm də). 1872–1934, Dutch astronomer, who calculated the size of the universe and conceived of it as expanding
c.1300, "one that sits," agent noun from sit (v.). As short for baby-sitter from 1937.