- to improve the capacity for speed or increase the efficiency of (a motor or engine) by increasing the richness of the fuel mixture or the efficiency of the fuel, or by adjusting the engine.
- to give spirit or vivacity to; enliven: a political rally souped up by the appearance of the candidates.
Words nearby soup
Idioms for soup
- from the first through the last course of a meal.
- from beginning to end; to a complete, encompassing degree; leaving nothing out.
Origin of soup
OTHER WORDS FROM soupsoup·less, adjectivesoup·like, adjective
Examples from the Web for soup
By nightfall, I had showered, eaten some soup that a friend brought me, and I slept in my room for 12 solid hours.I Was Gang Raped at a UVA Frat 30 Years Ago, and No One Did Anything|Liz Seccuro|December 16, 2014|DAILY BEAST
They begged for food and were given a 100-pound bag of rice with no soup kind and no one to cook for them.
Bach in the Subways is a soup kitchen for a world starving for classical music.
Andy always thought big, and went for big, simple, slam- bang images— Soup Cans, Dollar Signs, Torsos, Skulls.
Andy always thought big, and went for big, simple, slam- bang images—Soup Cans, Dollar Signs, Torsos, Skulls.
To be sure, there were some ashes and a little dirt in the soup, but that was not regarded as important.Blackfeet Indian Stories|George Bird Grinnell
Wagonloads of ripe Jersey tomatoes making their way to the soup factory are a jocund sight across the river just now.Mince PieAuthor: Christopher Darlington MorleyRelease Date: October 10, 2004 [eBook #13694]|Christopher Darlington Morley
"Now, here is the soup," she went on when her sister appeared.Living on a Little|Caroline French Benton
One slice of stale bread may be cut into cubes, fried in deep fat, and the croutons put in the soup.The Italian Cook Book|Maria Gentile
So instead of sherry with the soup, they ordered the intermezzo from "Cavalleria Rusticana."As Seen By Me|Lilian Bell
British Dictionary definitions for soup
Word Origin for soup
Idioms and Phrases with soup
In addition to the idiom beginning with soup
- soup up
- duck soup
- from soup to nuts
- in the soup
- thick as thieves (pea soup)