- to improve the capacity for speed or increase the efficiency of (a motor or engine) by increasing the richness of the fuel mixture or the efficiency of the fuel, or by adjusting the engine.
- to give spirit or vivacity to; enliven: a political rally souped up by the appearance of the candidates.
Idioms about soup
- from the first through the last course of a meal.
- from beginning to end; to a complete, encompassing degree; leaving nothing out.
Origin of soup
OTHER WORDS FROM soupsoupless, adjectivesouplike, adjective
How to use soup in a sentence
“I think for trans men who are dating every time they hook up they have another coming out,” Sandler said.
In that photo, Merabet has a big smile that spreads across his whole face and lights up his eyes.
We won't find out this season, though it comes up occasionally.‘Archer’ Creator Adam Reed Spills Season 6 Secrets, From Surreal Plotlines to Life Post-ISIS|Marlow Stern|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Kickstarter is one start-up platform that seems to have realized the danger.
The most recent issue contains detailed instructions for building car bombs, and the magazine frequently draws up hit-lists.U.S. Spies See Al Qaeda Fingerprints on Paris Massacre|Shane Harris, Nancy A. Youssef|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
What need to look to right or left when you are swallowing up free mile after mile of dizzying road?The Joyous Adventures of Aristide Pujol|William J. Locke
Most of the men leaped up, caught hold of spears or knives, and rushed out.The Giant of the North|R.M. Ballantyne
Some weeks after, the creditor chanced to be in Boston, and in walking up Tremont street, encountered his enterprising friend.
In less than ten minutes, the bivouac was broken up, and our little army on the march.
The bride elect rushes up to him, and so they both step down to the foot-lights.Physiology of The Opera|John H. Swaby (AKA "Scrici")
British Dictionary definitions for soup
Word Origin for soup
Other Idioms and Phrases with soup
In addition to the idiom beginning with soup
- soup up
- duck soup
- from soup to nuts
- in the soup
- thick as thieves (pea soup)