- a stock; family or branch of a family; line of descent.
- Law. a person from whom a family is descended.
- Biology Now Rare. a family, superfamily, or permanent variety.
Origin of stirps
- a line of descendants from a common ancestor.
Origin of stirp
Related Words for stirpsorigin, clan, pedigree, genealogy, descent, lineage, ancestry, genetics, tribe, progeny, family, house, kin, breed, kindred, extraction, heredity, race, blood, birth
Examples from the Web for stirps
Historical Examples of stirps
Some took the additional name from the stirps instead of from the gns, that is, from the cognmen instead of from the nmen.The Private Life of the Romans
Harold Whetstone Johnston
The principal characters of the story, belonging to the stirps Muciana, are purely imaginary.Quintus Claudius, Volume 1 of 2
Among the Iroquois descent was never reckoned through the male line, the stirps being always a woman.The Life and Times of Kateri Tekakwitha
Ellen H. Walworth
- genealogy a line of descendants from an ancestor; stock or strain
- botany a race or variety, esp one in which the characters are maintained by cultivation