adjective, straight·er, straight·est.
- traditional; conventional.
- free from using narcotics.
- not engaged in crime; law-abiding; reformed.
- a heterosexual.
- a person who follows traditional or conventional mores.
- a person who is free from narcotics.
TAKE THIS QUIZ TO SEE WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT 2ND-3RD GRADE VOCAB FROM BOOKS!
Idioms for straight
Origin of straight
SYNONYMS FOR straight
OTHER WORDS FROM straight
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH straightstraight strait
Words nearby straight
Example sentences from the Web for straightness
It is still, however, somewhat wanting in the expression of straightness, and therefore slightly unnatural.Modern Painters, Volume IV (of V)|John Ruskin
To me the straightness of our life is the straightness of a thin cord stretched tight.The Napoleon of Notting Hill|Gilbert K. Chesterton
But the grey in this case was not so pure, nor were the straightness and the slenderness so maidenly.The Tragic Muse|Henry James
He is praised by all as a hunter, and for the straightness of his aim with a gun.The Golden Silence|C. N. Williamson and A. M. Williamson
The characters of straightness and slenderness on which much stress was laid are found in exaggerated form in gibbons and lemurs.Man, Past and Present|Agustus Henry Keane
British Dictionary definitions for straightness
- five cards that are in sequence irrespective of suit
- a hand containing such a sequence
- (as modifier)a straight flush
Derived forms of straightstraightly, adverbstraightness, noun
Word Origin for straight
Idioms and Phrases with straightness
In addition to the idioms beginning with straight
- straight and narrow, the
- straight as an arrow
- straighten out
- straighten up
- straight face
- straight from the horse's mouth
- straight from the shoulder
- straight goods
- straight off
- straight out
- straight talk
- straight ticket
- straight up
- (straight) from the horse's mouth
- get something straight
- give it to (someone straight)
- go straight
- keep a straight face
- right (straight) out
- set straight
- shoot straight