- pertaining to, characterized by, or of the nature of strategy: strategic movements.
- important in or essential to strategy.
- (of an action, as a military operation or a move in a game) forming an integral part of a stratagem: a strategic move in a game of chess.
- intended to render the enemy incapable of making war, as by the destruction of materials, factories, etc.: a strategic bombing mission.
- essential to the conduct of a war: Copper is a strategic material.
Origin of strategic
Synonyms for strategicSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for strategicimportant, critical, vital, key, diplomatic, cardinal, decisive, imperative, necessary, cunning, deliberate, dishonest, planned, politic, tricky
Examples from the Web for strategic
Contemporary Examples of strategic
“It seems to me that the operative questions are political and strategic, not legal,” said the former administration official.Cyberwar on North Korea Could Be Illegal
December 23, 2014
After years of strategic drift, the U.S. military may finally have a path to maintain its edge over countries like China.The Pentagon May Finally Have a Plan to Keep America on Top
November 3, 2014
Of course, every nuclear capable air force runs exercises to practice its so-called “strategic deterrence.”Are Russian Bombers Flying Nuclear Drills Near Europe—Or Just Testing NATO’s Defenses?
October 30, 2014
“The strategic problem posed by [ISIS] is different than that in Afghanistan,” one former senior Air Force official said.Air Force Pilots Say They're Flying Blind Against ISIS
October 10, 2014
Turkey would do well to remember that as it weighs its strategic options.Dear Turkish PM: It’s Time to Act to Save Kobani’s Kurds
October 8, 2014
Historical Examples of strategic
What was the source of this strategic advantage of the villain?The Enclosures in England
"Yes, we've settled that," said Margaret, undisturbed by his strategic blunderings.Howards End
E. M. Forster
Strategic railways were built for the speedy transportation of troops.The Story of Russia
R. Van Bergen, M.A.
Thanks to this strategic offensive, the campaign turned in our favor.Current History, A Monthly Magazine
New York Times
Its importance is military and strategic rather than commercial.Commercial Geography
Jacques W. Redway
- of, relating to, or characteristic of strategy
- important to a strategy or to strategy in general
- (of weapons, attacks, etc) directed against an enemy's homeland rather than used on a battlefielda strategic missile; strategic bombing