- a small, seedless raisin.
- a wife or a concubine of a sultan.
- a sister, daughter, or mother of a sultan.
- a mistress, especially of a king or other royal personage.
- Also called old amethyst. a deep purplish-red color.
Origin of sultana
Related Words for sultanaking, monarch, emperor, czar, sultan, shah, girl, queen, adult, female, majesty, empress, mogul, kaiser, prince, baron, royal, sovereign, potentate, lord
Examples from the Web for sultana
Historical Examples of sultana
Chop also a dozen pippins, and two pounds of sultana raisins.Directions for Cookery, in its Various Branches
Sultana raisins, naturally seedless, are made from Sultanina and the Sultana.Manual of American Grape-Growing
U. P. Hedrick
These rags will become cloth of gold on the body of the Sultana of Sultanas.Sacrifice
Stephen French Whitman
These were in turn offered to the Caliph and the Sultana by their surrounding attendants.Alroy
Yes, you will be a sultana, but I—I shall be dead and I shall never see you again.The Nabob
- the dried fruit of a small white seedless grape, originally produced in SW Asia: used in cakes, curries, etc; seedless raisin
- the grape itself
- Also called: sultaness a wife, concubine, or female relative of a sultan
- a mistress; concubine
Word Origin for sultana
1580s, from Italian sultana, fem. of sultano (see sultan).