verb (used with object), sup·plied, sup·ply·ing.
verb (used without object), sup·plied, sup·ply·ing.
noun, plural sup·plies.
- all items necessary for the equipment, maintenance, and operation of a military command, including food, clothing, arms, ammunition, fuel, materials, and machinery.
- procurement, distribution, maintenance, and salvage of supplies.
Words nearby supply
Origin of supply1
OTHER WORDS FROM supplysup·pli·er, nounun·sup·plied, adjectivewell-sup·plied, adjective
Examples from the Web for supplies
Her business started in a suitcase, where she kept her supplies.
A Michigan-based company that supplies fasteners to the hardware store, home center, and industrial markets.
Manufacturing merchandise, publicity (a radio ad in SF, Facebook ads, venue specific advertising), supplies, shipping.
Sure, the Red Coats had the upper hand in terms of transportation, supplies and training.The British Royals Reinvade Brooklyn: William and Kate Come Watch Basketball on Historic Battle Site|Justin Jones|December 6, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The supplies were provided by Kurdish authorities, the official said.ISIS Video: America’s Air Dropped Weapons Now in Our Hands|Josh Rogin|October 21, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The Confederate supplies had been captured by Sheridan, and Lees army was almost at the point of starvation.The Civil War Through the Camera|Henry W. (Henry William) Elson
And yet, supplies must be laid in for crossing the mountains.The Conquest|Eva Emery Dye
The supplies from America have been divided with the conscientious desire to see American generosity help as far as could be.War Days in Brittany|Elsie Deming Jarves
At last he felt sure that they must be opened to admit the country people coming in with supplies for the market.The Lion of the North|G.A. Henty
A great majority of the moccasins sold as sportsman's supplies are likewise very bogus.Camp and Trail|Stewart Edward White
British Dictionary definitions for supplies (1 of 2)
verb -plies, -plying or -plied
noun plural -plies
- the act of providing or something that is provided
- (as modifier)a supply dump
- willingness and ability to offer goods and services for sale
- the amount of a commodity that producers are willing and able to offer for sale at a specified priceCompare demand (def. 9)
- the management and disposal of food and equipment
- (as modifier)supply routes
- a person who acts as a temporary substitute
- (as modifier)a supply vicar
Derived forms of supplysuppliable, adjectivesupplier, noun
Word Origin for supply
British Dictionary definitions for supplies (2 of 2)
Cultural definitions for supplies
The amount of any given commodity available for sale at a given time.
Idioms and Phrases with supplies
see in short supply.