- firmly; unerringly; without missing, slipping, etc.
- undoubtedly, assuredly, or certainly: The results are surely encouraging.
- (in emphatic utterances that are not necessarily sustained by fact) assuredly: Surely you are mistaken.
- inevitably or without fail: Slowly but surely the end approached.
- yes, indeed: Surely, I'll go with you!
Origin of surely
Related Words for surelyinevitably, certainly, assuredly, plainly, absolutely, indeed, unquestionably, evidently, definitely, undoubtedly, clearly, inexorably, decidedly, distinctly, indubitably, positively, conclusively, doubtlessly, admittedly, explicitly
Examples from the Web for surely
Contemporary Examples of surely
Surely all this graphic talk of gastrointestinal distress is making you queasy.Why My Norovirus Panic Makes Me Sick
January 5, 2015
Perhaps it always seems that way at the time, but surely we face our fair share right now.In 2015, Let’s Try for More Compassion
January 4, 2015
They had more than enough to build fabulous new domiciles that surely at least equal their wildest dreams.The Luxury Homes That Torture and Your Tax Dollars Built
December 12, 2014
Fine, but there are lunatic sums of money being spent on art, surely?William, Kate, and Jay Z’s Favorite Art Star: Alexander Gilkes' World of Rock Stars and Royalty
December 10, 2014
The Kim regime—and certainly others—have surely noticed the open door.Sony Blames North Korea for Hacking, but Washington Left Them Completely Vulnerable
Gordon G. Chang
December 3, 2014
Historical Examples of surely
Surely those are not the steps that lead down toward the bath?
Surely there must have been God's intent in the making of this new-world Republic.
But she cannot surely be so mean as to purchase her peace with them at so dear a rate.
The only man in the world, surely, that could offer so much, and deserve so little!
He won't go this day, for the young priest will stop him surely.Riders to the Sea
J. M. Synge
- without doubt; assuredlythings could surely not have been worse
- without fail; inexorably (esp in the phrase slowly but surely)
- (sentence modifier) am I not right in thinking that?; I am sure thatsurely you don't mean it?
- rare in a sure manner
- archaic safely; securely
- (sentence substitute) mainly US and Canadian willingly; of course; yes