- noting two points in a plane such that the line segment joining the points is bisected by an axis: Points (1, 1) and (1, −1) are symmetrical with respect to the x-axis.
- noting a set consisting of pairs of points having this relation with respect to the same axis.
- noting two points in a plane such that the line segment joining the points is bisected by a point or center: The points (1, 1) and (−1, −1) are symmetrical with respect to (0, 0).
- noting a set consisting of pairs of points having this relation with respect to the same center.
- noting a square matrix that is equal to its transpose.
- noting a dyad or dyadic that is equal to its conjugate.
- noting a relation in which one element in relation to a second implies the second in relation to the first.
- divisible into two similar parts by more than one plane passing through the center; actinomorphic.
- (of a flower) having the same number of parts in each whorl.
- having a structure that exhibits a regular repeated pattern of the component parts.
- noting a benzene derivative in which three substitutions have occurred at alternate carbon atoms.
OTHER WORDS FROM symmetrical
Words nearby symmetrical
How to use symmetrical in a sentence
The vehicle has a four-seat, face-to-face symmetrical seating configuration, similar to what a train traveler might encounter.This Week’s Awesome Tech Stories From Around the Web (Through December 19)|Singularity Hub Staff|December 19, 2020|Singularity Hub
In this work, Le Corbusier developed his concept of the city as a symmetrical, regulated, and highly centralized landscape.Future Cities: New Challenges Mean We Need to Reimagine the Look of Urban Landscapes|Nick Dunn|December 18, 2020|Singularity Hub
ORCs are too symmetrical, and we don’t see a cluster at their center.These ghostly circles in the sky came out of nowhere|By Ray Norris/The Conversation|December 4, 2020|Popular-Science
Normally, symmetrical gigabit speeds require a fiber-to-the-home connection.Comcast says gigabit downloads and uploads are now possible over cable|Jon Brodkin|October 8, 2020|Ars Technica
The Pixel 5 looks like it has fully symmetrical bezels all the way around instead of a thicker chin on the bottom like the cheaper 4a.Google’s Pixel 5 has a metal back, wireless charging and costs $699|Ron Amadeo|September 30, 2020|Ars Technica
It takes Sharp four hours to get into character: “I take joy in the mathematical, symmetrical precision and perfectness of Bach.”
It has the swooping, symmetrical grace of a bird's wingspan.The World's Most Beautiful Boat—Yours for Half a Billion Dollars|Tim Teeman|October 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
This means closely examining photos for sought-after traits like height and a symmetrical face.
Yes, Israel has nukes, and that technology has made Israel safe from symmetrical attack.Memo to Bibi Netanyahu: It’s Time to Build an Arsenal of Awe|Lloyd Green|December 2, 2013|DAILY BEAST
All of them are beautiful and sexy by agreed standards (fit, slender yet shapely, big eyes, symmetrical features).
For every detail is so marvellously symmetrical that no one is dwarfed, no one challenges special attention.Glances at Europe|Horace Greeley
Every time he is dressed, or sees his mother dress, he has an object-lesson in symmetrical arrangement.Children's Ways|James Sully
These rock strata are so straight and so symmetrical that they resemble a series of chimneys suggesting their name.Hallowed Heritage: The Life of Virginia|Dorothy M. Torpey
Although one of the smallest of these great English churches, it is in many respects one of the most symmetrical and beautiful.British Highways And Byways From A Motor Car|Thomas D. Murphy
The irregular in what should be regular, lack of form in what should be symmetrical—what can be more illogical and annoying?Charles Baudelaire, His Life|Thophile Gautier
British Dictionary definitions for symmetrical
- (of two points) capable of being joined by a line that is bisected by a given point or bisected perpendicularly by a given line or planethe points ( x, y ) and ( –x, –y ) are symmetrical about the origin
- (of a configuration) having pairs of points that are symmetrical about a given point, line, or planea circle is symmetrical about a diameter
- (of an equation or function of two or more variables) remaining unchanged in form after an interchange of two variablesx + y = z is a symmetrical equation