- characterized by or exhibiting symmetry; well-proportioned, as a body or whole; regular in form or arrangement of corresponding parts.
- noting two points in a plane such that the line segment joining the points is bisected by an axis: Points (1, 1) and (1, −1) are symmetrical with respect to the x-axis.
- noting a set consisting of pairs of points having this relation with respect to the same axis.
- noting two points in a plane such that the line segment joining the points is bisected by a point or center: The points (1, 1) and (−1, −1) are symmetrical with respect to (0, 0).
- noting a set consisting of pairs of points having this relation with respect to the same center.
- Often symmetric. Mathematics.
- noting a square matrix that is equal to its transpose.
- noting a dyad or dyadic that is equal to its conjugate.
- noting a relation in which one element in relation to a second implies the second in relation to the first.
- divisible into two similar parts by more than one plane passing through the center; actinomorphic.
- (of a flower) having the same number of parts in each whorl.
- having a structure that exhibits a regular repeated pattern of the component parts.
- noting a benzene derivative in which three substitutions have occurred at alternate carbon atoms.
- affecting corresponding parts simultaneously, as certain diseases.
Origin of symmetrical
Synonyms for symmetricalSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for symmetricallyfairly, uniformly, justly, equitably, equally, squarely, precisely, proportionately, identically, easily, delicately, neatly, smoothly, nimbly, beautifully, graciously, skillfully, elegantly, adroitly, coordinately
Examples from the Web for symmetrically
Historical Examples of symmetrically
The porters arranged them symmetrically, tier by tier, on the vehicles.The Fat and the Thin
It is divided into four bays, and is not symmetrically placed to the church.Byzantine Churches in Constantinople
Alexander Van Millingen
In drying skins, stretch them symmetrically and dry in the shade.Taxidermy
Leon Luther Pray
This joint should be finished as symmetrically as possible and wiped while the solder is hot.Elements of Plumbing
These are often symmetrically disposed, either on the poles of the dimensive axes or in crossed diagonal planes.
- possessing or displaying symmetryCompare asymmetric
- (of two points) capable of being joined by a line that is bisected by a given point or bisected perpendicularly by a given line or planethe points ( x, y ) and ( –x, –y ) are symmetrical about the origin
- (of a configuration) having pairs of points that are symmetrical about a given point, line, or planea circle is symmetrical about a diameter
- (of an equation or function of two or more variables) remaining unchanged in form after an interchange of two variablesx + y = z is a symmetrical equation
- chem (of a compound) having a molecular structure in which substituents are symmetrical about the molecule
- botany another word for isomerous
- Also: symmetric (of a disease, infection, etc) affecting both sides of the body or corresponding parts, such as both legs