- something taken back or away, especially an employee benefit that is eliminated or substantially reduced by the terms of a union contract.
- conclusions, impressions, or action points resulting from a meeting, discussion, roundtable, or the like: The takeaway was that we had to do a lot more work on the proposal before it could be shown to the governing board.
- Chiefly British.
- a takeout restaurant: Let's pick something up at the Indian takeaway.
- food from a takeout restaurant: I get Chinese takeaway at least once a week.
- (in hockey and football) the act of getting the puck or ball away from the team on the offense: The problem with most hockey statistics is they are not very consistent in how they determine takeaways and giveaways.
- (in golf) a backswing: I got him a video entitled “Improving the Takeaway in Your Golf Swing” for his birthday.
- of or relating to what is or can be taken away: a list of takeaway proposals presented by management.
- Chiefly British. takeout(def 7).
Origin of takeaway
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for takeaway
The takeaway message, whether intended or not, is clear: I became a complete woman when—and only when—I found a good man.Time to Grow Up, Lena Dunham
October 10, 2014
For me, the takeaway from these results is that creativity—just like grit—does not occupy a separate sphere from academics.Are U.S. Kids Creative Enough?
April 2, 2014
The takeaway from this run of data is that the government is losing its ability to inflict damage on the U.S. economy.October Jobs Report Is Bad News for American Economic Declinists
November 8, 2013
Because the takeaway from this news, as we see it, is that Britney Spears has the power to save Tom Hanks.Britney Spears's Music Is Used to Fight Off Somali Pirates (Stop Laughing)
October 28, 2013
But the takeaway for the average reader is a splendid detective story that constantly wavers between success and tragedy.Who Actually Cracked Linear B, the Ancient Code of the Mysterious Knossos Labyrinth?
May 17, 2013
Word Origin and History for takeaway
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper