- to fill or overcome with terror.
- to dominate or coerce by intimidation.
- to produce widespread fear by acts of violence, as bombings.
Also especially British, ter·ror·ise.
Origin of terrorize
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
1, 2. See frighten.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Wordsambush, bullying, coercion, duress, force, intimidation, persuasion, pressure, threat, arm-twisting, terrorism, terrorization
- to coerce or control by violence, fear, threats, etc
- to inspire with dread; terrify
Word Origin and History for terrorization
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper