- to strike the strings, keys, etc., of (a musical instrument) so as to cause it to sound.
- to play or perform (an air, notes, etc.) on a musical instrument.
- the act of approaching someone for money as a gift or a loan.
- the obtaining of money in this manner.
- the money obtained.
- a person considered from the standpoint of the relative ease with which he or she will lend money: I can always hit him for ten—he's an easy touch.
- an official mark put upon precious metal after testing to indicate its purity.
- a die, stamp, or the like for impressing such a mark.
- an identifying mark impressed on pewter by its maker.
- to represent or characterize precisely.
- to cause to ignite or explode.
- to give rise to; initiate: This incident will touch off another crisis.
- to mention a subject briefly or casually; treat of in passing: In his lecture he touched on the major aspects of the controversy.
- to come close to; approach.
- to relate or pertain to.
- to make minor changes or improvements in the appearance of.
- to modify or improve (a painting, photograph, etc.) by adding small strokes or making slight changes.
- to rouse by or as if by striking: This should touch up your memory.
Idioms about touch
Origin of touch
OTHER WORDS FROM touch
How to use touch in a sentence
Long-distance communication may benefit from a robot’s touch.This artificial skin feels ‘ghosts’ — things you wish were there|Stephen Ornes|November 20, 2020|Science News For Students
They’re built with a touch interface in mind, which doesn’t always translate well to a mouse and keyboard.Apple’s M1 chip makes the new MacBook Air shockingly good|Stan Horaczek|November 18, 2020|Popular-Science
Rather than just a pressure sensor, we need something that captures the myriad of touch sensations.
It’s equally delightful to sip, though, with notes of nougat and just a touch of bright acidity.Now You Can Steep Your Coffee Like Tea—and It's Awesome|AC Shilton|November 11, 2020|Outside Online
We bought a few trays, to limit touch, so servers can carry plates on those instead of with their hands.The True Cost of Keeping a Restaurant Open During a Pandemic|Charlotte Druckman|November 11, 2020|Eater
Joe is a toucher—and not in a creepy, hide-your-interns kind of way.The Pros and Cons of Joe Biden Hitting the Campaign Trail|Michelle Cottle|March 8, 2012|DAILY BEAST
Cerf, Du toucher des écrouelles par le roi de France, in Trav.The Life of Joan of Arc, Vol. 1 and 2 (of 2)|Anatole France
Safe enough—unless the wheel catches one—it was as near as a toucher just then—aren't you going to smoke?The Travelling Companions|F. Anstey
It will show you pretty well how pipped I was when I tell you that I near as a toucher put on a white tie with a dinner-jacket.My Man Jeeves|P. G. Wodehouse
A single unconscious touch and the toucher starts back with an amazed "What's this?"The Debit Account|Oliver Onions
The "toucher" in this case usually admits frankly that he came to Chicago and got drunk, spending all his money.Twenty Years a Detective in the Wickedest City in the World|Clifton R. Wooldridge
British Dictionary definitions for touch
- an official stamp on metal indicating standard purity
- the die stamp used to apply this markNow usually called: hallmark
- the act of asking for money as a loan or gift, often by devious means
- the money received in this way
- a person asked for money in this wayhe was an easy touch
- to finger (the keys or strings of an instrument)
- to play (a tune, piece of music, etc) in this way
Derived forms of touchtouchable, adjectivetouchableness, nountoucher, nountouchless, adjective
Word Origin for touch
Medical definitions for touch
Other words from touchtouch•a•ble adj.
Other Idioms and Phrases with touch
In addition to the idioms beginning with touch
- touch and go
- touch base with
- touch bottom
- touch down
- touched by, be
- touched in the head
- touch off
- touch on
- touch up
- common touch
- finishing touch
- hit (touch) bottom
- in touch
- lose one's touch
- lose touch
- not touch with a ten-foot pole
- out of touch
- put the arm (touch) on
- soft touch