- a musical composition for three voices or instruments.
- a company of three singers or players.
- any group of three persons or things.
- a subordinate division of a minuet, scherzo, march, etc., usually in a contrasted key and style (perhaps originally written for three instruments or in three parts).
Origin of trio
Related Words for triothreesome, triumvirate, trilogy, troika, leash, triple, triad, trinity, trine, triplet, triangle, triplicate, triptych, trey, ternion, triune
Examples from the Web for trio
Contemporary Examples of trio
The trio formed the Sad Boys collective, with Sherm and Gud on production and Lean manning the mic.The Cult of Yung Lean: ‘I’m Building An Anarchistic Society From the Ground Up’
January 4, 2015
On Wednesday afternoon, the trio turned themselves in to the police.The Monuments Men of Occupy Hong Kong
December 4, 2014
Additionally, the so-called DDG-1000 can also carry either a pair of helicopters or a single helicopter and a trio of drones.Can the Navy's $12 Billion Stealth Destroyer Stay Afloat?
October 22, 2014
Now, the actress is back with a trio of standout performances in indie films.The Resurrection of Kristen Stewart
October 11, 2014
Rivers herself was the hardest-working person in Hollywood the trio said.Melissa Rivers: Life After Joan—A Funny, Moving Celebration on a Special 'Fashion Police'
September 20, 2014
Historical Examples of trio
Grace led the way and the trio ascended to the second story.Grace Harlowe's Return to Overton Campus
Jessie Graham Flower
The trio got into a waiting car and Haggerty trailed them in a taxi.Poisoned Air
Sterner St. Paul Meek
He drew a breath of relief as the trio emerged into the open air.
When the trio were again in the library, the captain spoke once more.
Each of the trio enjoyed them greatly, Caroline quite as much as the others.
- a group of three people or things
- a group of three singers or instrumentalists or a piece of music composed for such a group
- a subordinate section in a scherzo, minuet, etc, that is contrastive in style and often in a related key
- piquet three cards of the same rank