- any hollow, elongated body or part.
- the united lower portion of a gamopetalous corolla or a gamosepalous calyx.
verb (used with object), tubed, tub·ing.
Words nearby tube
Idioms for tube
Origin of tube
OTHER WORDS FROM tubetube·less, adjectivetube·like, adjectivemul·ti·tube, adjective
Examples from the Web for tube
Also, because a tube of lipstick stands in for the “i” in “science.”
Having a tube jabbed into an open wound in your throat is clearly not pleasant.
IranWire: Why did you decide to respond to Iranian state television by publishing a video of you singing in a London Tube station?
When the tube heats up, it creates steam that can be injected into the oil well.
If ever I give up my music," he says, "you might see me on the tube one day with a hood over my head climbing into a ring.The Stacks: The Neville Brothers Stake Their Claim as Bards of the Bayou|John Ed Bradley|April 27, 2014|DAILY BEAST
And listening, there comes up to him from the depths faintly, through the tube: "I'm uninjured, but am bound and helpless."Miss Dividends|Archibald Clavering Gunter
Breathing through a tube, if continued for a long time, interferes with the natural growth of the air-passage above it.
It will also help greatly to make a water-tight joint around the tube.Boys' Book of Model Boats|Raymond Francis Yates
Again there was no sensory reaction to passing through the Tube.Gone Fishing|James H. Schmitz
Allow the bulb and tube to cool, then repeat the heating once more.A Handbook of Laboratory Glass-Blowing|Bernard D. Bolas
British Dictionary definitions for tube
- the lower part of a gamopetalous corolla or gamosepalous calyx, below the lobes
- any other hollow structure in a plant
- Also called: the underground an underground railway systemUS and Canadian equivalent: subway
- the tunnels through which the railway runs
- the train itself
- (capital) trademark the London underground railway system
Derived forms of tubetubeless, adjectivetube-like, adjective
Word Origin for tube
Medical definitions for tube
Idioms and Phrases with tube
see down the tubes.