- a rectangular piece or block, now usually of metal, having on its upper surface a letter or character in relief.
- such pieces or blocks collectively.
- a similar piece in a typewriter or the like.
- such pieces collectively.
- a printed character or printed characters: a headline in large type.
- face (defs. 21b, c).
- a genus or species that most nearly exemplifies the essential characteristics of a higher group.
- the one or more specimens on which the description and naming of a species is based.
- the inherited features of an animal or breed that are favorable for any given purpose: dairy type.
- a strain, breed, or variety of animal, or a single animal, belonging to a specific kind.
Origin of type
usage note for type
OTHER WORDS FROM type
Other definitions for type (2 of 2)
How to use type in a sentence
“I think the types of stories we do are very similar to what happened with hip-hop,” says Jones.‘Black Dynamite’ Presents Police Brutality: The Musical|Stereo Williams|January 9, 2015|DAILY BEAST
At its most simplified, the revision allows big players more access to insured deposits while making certain types of bets.
The argument now is how to limit certain types of plays that banks can make under certain circumstances.
They witnessed and experienced the same types of abusive events, Fenner claims.
Good intelligence comes when multiple sources and types (human, technical, open) of information are pulled together.
Two types of the disease are commonly distinguished: the myelogenous and the lymphatic.A Manual of Clinical Diagnosis|James Campbell Todd
The types and symbols of a former period were blessed to the souls of men, as well as the fuller revelations of succeeding times.The Ordinance of Covenanting|John Cunningham
There are four types: bituminous (soft), anthracite (hard), semi-bituminous and semi-anthracite.
Various types of stone resources rank second in financial value of minerals.
All the odd types of human nature you meet in this office won't do you any harm, either.Ancestors|Gertrude Atherton
British Dictionary definitions for type (1 of 2)
- a small block of metal or more rarely wood bearing a letter or character in relief for use in printing
- such pieces collectively
- the taxonomic group the characteristics of which are used for defining the next highest group, for example Rattus norvegicus (brown rat) is the type species of the rat genus Rattus
- (as modifier)a type genus; a type species