- a rectangular piece or block, now usually of metal, having on its upper surface a letter or character in relief.
- such pieces or blocks collectively.
- a similar piece in a typewriter or the like.
- such pieces collectively.
- a printed character or printed characters: a headline in large type.
- face(defs 19b, c).
- a genus or species that most nearly exemplifies the essential characteristics of a higher group.
- the one or more specimens on which the description and naming of a species is based.
- the inherited features of an animal or breed that are favorable for any given purpose: dairy type.
- a strain, breed, or variety of animal, or a single animal, belonging to a specific kind.
verb (used with object), typed, typ·ing.
verb (used without object), typed, typ·ing.
- type 1 diabetes,
- type 1 glycogenosis,
- type 2 diabetes,
- type 2 glycogenosis,
- type 3 glycogenosis
Origin of type
Examples from the Web for types
“I think the types of stories we do are very similar to what happened with hip-hop,” says Jones.‘Black Dynamite’ Presents Police Brutality: The Musical|Stereo Williams|January 9, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Good intelligence comes when multiple sources and types (human, technical, open) of information are pulled together.
And there is the additional fear in these types of cases that the public will vilify the victim, not a celebrity wrongdoer.
Following the release of Nine Types of Light, TV on the Radio thought long and hard about calling it quits.Revenge of the Rock Nerds: TV on the Radio’s Long Road to ‘Seeds’|Marlow Stern|December 3, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Vial distinguishes between two types of images—the innocent and the showoff, in which the performers “play” for her.
And not man alone, but the principal events of life, fall into classes by types.The Human Comedy|Honore de Balzac
But more important to the historian of literature even than the development of qualities is the evolution of types.
In Misiones there are two types of forest, which differ a good deal from each other, while neither resembles the quebracho forest.The Argentine Republic|Pierre Denis
As there are types of forces or causes giving rise to migration, there are likewise types of migration.
It is very evident that these three types of law may be very intimately related.Introduction to the Science of Sociology|Robert E. Park
- a small block of metal or more rarely wood bearing a letter or character in relief for use in printing
- such pieces collectively
- the taxonomic group the characteristics of which are used for defining the next highest group, for example Rattus norvegicus (brown rat) is the type species of the rat genus Rattus
- (as modifier)a type genus; a type species
Word Origin for type
late 15c., "symbol, emblem," from Latin typus "figure, image, form, kind," from Greek typos "dent, impression, mark, figure, original form," from root of typtein "to strike, beat," from PIE root *(s)teu- "to strike, cut, hew" (see steep (adj.)). Extended 1713 to printing blocks with letters carved on them. The meaning "general form or character of some kind, class" is first in English 1843, though it had that sense in Latin and Greek. To be someone's type "be the sort of person that person is attracted to" is recorded from 1934.
"to write with a typewriter," 1888; see type (n.). Related: Typed; typing.