- lack of conformity; incongruity; inconsistency.
- a discontinuity in rock sequence indicating interruption of sedimentation, commonly accompanied by erosion of rocks below the break.
- the interface between such strata.
Origin of unconformity
Related Words for unconformitydeviation, abnormality, diversity, variety, fluctuation, innovation, divergence, alteration, discrepancy, disparity, mutation, shift, modification, change, malfunction, anomaly, characteristic, variation, contrast, inequality
Examples from the Web for unconformity
Historical Examples of unconformity
Either of these events would have produced an unconformity; the two make it more pronounced.
They are separable into a lower and upper division with an unconformity often occurring between them.
At Llandovery they rest unconformably upon Ordovician rocks (Bala), but in many other places no unconformity is traceable.
An unconformity thus records movements of the crust and a consequent break in the deposition of the strata.The Elements of Geology
William Harmon Norton
Such an erosion surface, called an “unconformity,” marks a gap in the geological record of the district where it occurs.Geology
William J. Miller
- lack of conformity
- the contact surface between younger and older rocks representing a discontinuity in the geological record. Most commonly it represents an erosional surface
- A surface between successive strata representing a missing interval in the geologic record of time, produced either by an interruption in deposition or by the erosion of depositionally continuous strata followed by renewed deposition. An unconformity is a type of discontinuity.