- the quality or state of being original.
- ability to think or express oneself in an independent and individual manner; creative ability.
- freshness or novelty, as of an idea, method, or performance.
Origin of originality
SynonymsSee more synonyms for originality on Thesaurus.com
1, 3. inventiveness, ingenuity, cleverness, creativeness.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unoriginality
They are not familiar to me, and yet I confess to a vague feeling of unoriginality.Tales of Fantasy and Fact
But there is a point at which unoriginality may become a sin.Parkhurst Boys
Talbot Baines Reed
The unoriginality, however, is rather in the style than in the matter, and so will be more fitly remarked under the head of Style.
I said a moment ago that the most striking characteristic of the dilettanti is unoriginality.Books and Persons
- the quality or condition of being original
- the ability to create or innovate
- something original
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for unoriginality
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper