- to bring (a book, figures, or the like) up to date as by adding new information or making corrections: to update a science textbook.
- Computers. to incorporate new or more accurate information in (a database, program, procedure, etc.).
- to bring (a person, organization, etc.) up to date on a particular subject: The magazine article will update you on the international situation.
- an act or instance of updating: to make an update in a financial ledger.
- information or data used in updating.
- an updated version, model, or the like.
Origin of update
Related Words for updatedrestore, amend, refurbish, renovate, renew, modernize, revise, refresh, rejuvenate
Examples from the Web for updated
Contemporary Examples of updated
Note: This piece was updated to reflect that Mrs. Landingham died while Aaron Sorkin was still writing The West Wing.'The Newsroom' Ended As It Began: Weird, Controversial, and Noble
December 15, 2014
This article has been updated to include additional comment from Doug Stafford.Rand Paul Declares War on ISIS—and Allows Boots on the Ground
November 24, 2014
This story has been updated to include additional comment from Doug Stafford.Rand Paul Beats Ted Cruz, Saves NSA From ‘Reform’
Tim Mak, Olivia Nuzzi
November 19, 2014
Editor's Note: This article has been updated with a statement from Charles Wycuff's lawyer.Ohio Elementary School Teacher Charged With Raping Her Son
November 11, 2014
Editor's Note: This story has been updated and edited for length.Lone Wolves, Terrorist Runts, and the Stray Dogs of ISIS
October 24, 2014
Historical Examples of updated
Updated editions will replace the previous one--the old editions will be renamed.The Imaginary Invalid
Authors' and First Lines' Indices were updated to match poems.
The page numbers have been updated for the plain text version of this book.Insect Adventures
J. Henri Fabre
Updated editions will replace the previous one—the old editions will be renamed.Options
He flicked a button that gave him an updated status report on each of the three men in question.The Dueling Machine
Benjamin William Bova
- to bring up to date
- the act of updating or something that is updated