- of the greatest or highest degree, quantity, or the like; greatest: of the utmost importance.
- being at the farthest point or extremity; farthest: the utmost reef of the island.
- Also uttermost. the greatest degree or amount: the utmost that can be said; The hotel provides the utmost in comfort.
- the most or best of one's abilities, powers, etc.: He did his utmost to finish on time.
- the extreme limit or extent: His patience was taxed to the utmost.
Origin of utmost
Synonyms for utmostSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for utmostsheer, all-out, ultimate, unconditional, absolute, uttermost, entire, full, last, top, chief, outside, total, whole, final, complete, exhaustive, farthest, highest, most
Examples from the Web for utmost
Contemporary Examples of utmost
Lawler notes that in the Zoroastrian religion of the Persians, the rooster was of the utmost importance.The History of the Chicken: How This Humble Bird Saved Humanity
December 27, 2014
UPDATE: As of this writing, news of the utmost ghastliness has emerged from the Brazil camp.Brazil and Colombia Bring the Ugly Game
July 4, 2014
For growing school-kids, healthy lunch is of utmost importance.The Government is Still Failing Kids on School Lunches
May 25, 2014
I don't get to spend my money or my time with utmost selfishness.Mommy’s Little Secret? Coffee And Booze.
May 11, 2014
I have the utmost respect for them as colleagues, and value the work they do immensely.Why Nurses Should Be Able to Practice Without Doctors
May 9, 2014
Historical Examples of utmost
They landed, and with the utmost haste proceeded toward the city.Philothea
Lydia Maria Child
He sprang to the rock, and exerted his utmost strength to dislodge it.
He was still exerting his strength to the utmost when the whistle of the locomotive was heard.
The wayfarers all gazed in the utmost astonishment at the interruption.The White Company
Arthur Conan Doyle
Then he went on quickly, with a tone of utmost positiveness.Within the Law
- of the greatest possible degree or amountthe utmost degree
- at the furthest limitthe utmost town on the peninsula
- the greatest possible degree, extent, or amounthe tried his utmost