- a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc.
Origin of vegetarian
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for vegetarian
In the fall of 1992, Booker became a vegetarian “as an experiment,” he said, “and I was surprised by how much my body took to it.”Talking Tofurky With Newly Vegan Cory Booker
November 26, 2014
We frequently enjoyed his Bengali vegetarian feasts while discussing different aspects of Eastern philosophy late into the night.When Gary Wright Met George Harrison: Dream Weaver, John and Yoko, and More
September 29, 2014
Even though his undergraduate studies had led him to be a vegetarian, he decided to intern with a small pork producer.The Bioethicist Turned Butcher
September 28, 2014
That is not the tofu you see in groceries or even the meat substitute sold in vegetarian places.Tales of a Jailhouse Gourmet: How I learned to Cook in Prison
June 21, 2014
She played the guitar, stuck to a vegetarian diet, and dated around the main cast.Homestar Runner, Trogdor the Burninator, and the Birth of the Internet
April 22, 2014
Atherstone was a philosopher, a free-thinker, and a vegetarian.The Coryston Family
Mrs. Humphry Ward
The father should have been a vegetarian in a Garden City community.
It is not necessary to be a vegetarian to desire a change from a meat diet.Sandwiches
Sarah Tyson Heston Rorer
"He's a vegetarian," remarked the Tiger, as the horse began to munch the clover.Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz
L. Frank Baum
Having taken the vow of an ascetic, for years he was a vegetarian.The Fulfilment of a Dream of Pastor Hsi's
A. Mildred Cable
- a person who advocates or practises vegetarianism
- relating to, advocating, or practising vegetarianism
- cookery strictly, consisting of vegetables and fruit only, but usually including milk, cheese, eggs, etc
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for vegetarian
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- One who practices vegetarianism.
- Of or relating to vegetarianism or vegetarians.
- Consisting primarily or wholly of vegetables and vegetable products.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.