- an officer appointed as deputy by and to a sovereign or supreme chief.
- a deputy in general.
- exercising delegated powers.
- characterized by delegation of powers.
Origin of vicegerent
Related Words for vicegerentpontiff, pastor, pontifical, see, legate, popery, vicegerent, papacy, vatican, nuncio, cleric, clergyman, deputy, substitute, lieutenant, priest, minister, ecclesiastic, proxy, popedom
Examples from the Web for vicegerent
Historical Examples of vicegerent
Gentlemen, the King is the vicegerent of God, and has no superior.The Shadow of a Crime
Mark, O assembled people, the infinite mercy of the Vicegerent of Allah!Alroy
He demanded of his Vicegerent what remedy he had to suggest, and Cromwell had none.Henry VIII.
A. F. Pollard
He brought with him a vicario, or vicegerent, and a doctor of laws.Wanderings in Corsica, Vol. 1 of 2
The bishop is regarded by the Catholics as the Vicegerent of Heaven.Petals Plucked from Sunny Climes
- a person appointed to exercise all or some of the authority of another, esp the administrative powers of a ruler; deputy
- RC Church the Pope or any other representative of God or Christ on earth, such as a bishop
- invested with or characterized by delegated authority