verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
- to cause to become bowed under a weight: snow and ice weighing down the trees.
- to lower the spirits of; burden; depress: This predicament weighs me down.
- (of a boxer or wrestler) to be weighed by a medical examiner on the day of a bout.
- to be of the weight determined by such a weighing: He weighed in at 170 pounds.
- (of a jockey) to be weighed with the saddle and weights after a race.
- Informal. to offer an opinion, advice, support, etc., especially in a forceful or authoritative way: The chairman weighed in with an idea for the fundraiser.
- to be weighed with the saddle and weights before a race.
- to be of the weight determined by such a weighing.
THIS PSAT VOCABULARY QUIZ IS PERFECT PRACTICE FOR THE REAL TEST
Idioms for weigh
Origin of weigh1
synonym study for weigh
OTHER WORDS FROM weigh
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH weighway, weigh
Definition for weigh (2 of 2)
Origin of weigh2
Example sentences from the Web for weigh
Put a small plate over the cheese in the strainer and then a can or another object atop the plate to weigh it down.Ease into Winter with Backcountry-Approved Comfort Food|Christina Bernstein|November 12, 2020|Outside Online
As he weighed his options, Cornish didn’t rule out any location.Maryland basketball signs a trio of four-star players, including two with Baltimore roots|Emily Giambalvo|November 12, 2020|Washington Post
Hinze, the Encinitas councilwoman, similarly said that she weighed the possibility of continued harassment when deciding whether to seek re-election, but ultimately felt a responsibility to run.Women Politicians Across the County Say They’ve Faced Harassment, Threats|Kayla Jimenez|November 9, 2020|Voice of San Diego
Every year, some states6 allow citizens to bypass their elected representatives and weigh in directly on an issue — bringing policy to the forefront of the campaign in a way it often is not in candidate elections.The 21 Ballot Measures We’re Watching This Election|Nathaniel Rakich (firstname.lastname@example.org)|October 31, 2020|FiveThirtyEight
To weigh in on the categories “Ken Jennings and Kylie Jenner” and “Alex Tribeca,” the Empress recruited Ken Jennings himself!Style Invitational Week 1408: Re-Organization — tweak the name of a charity|Pat Myers|October 29, 2020|Washington Post
Too much care could not be taken in laying the foundation for his final proposal to the weigher.
In practice the second weigher is placed just before the first break.
O'Toole was a man of fifty, and had been a weigher for eleven years.
This could afterward be compared with the figures of the weigher.
Occasionally a mess of milk will get run into the vat without weighing, by the weigher forgetting to close the gate or faucet.Hints on cheese-making|Thomas Day Curtis