- to vote for (a candidate not listed on the ballot) by writing his or her name on the ballot.
- to include in or add to a text by writing: Do not write in corrections on the galley.
- to request something by mail: If interested, please write in for details.
- to cancel an entry in an account, as an unpaid and uncollectable debt.
- to regard as worthless, lost, obsolete, etc.; decide to forget: to write off their bad experience.
- to amortize: The new equipment was written off in three years.
- to put into writing.
- to write in full form; state completely.
- to exhaust the capacity or resources of by excessive writing: He's just another author who has written himself out.
- to put into writing, especially in full detail: My boss asked me to write up a report for the meeting on Monday, so I cancelled my plans and worked on it all weekend.
- to present to public notice in a written description or account.
- to document a violation, complaint, or charge against, especially in a recommendation for disciplinary action: Is it true that you were written up by your French teacher because you set a classroom dictionary on fire?
- Accounting. to make an excessive valuation of (an asset).
Origin of write
OTHER WORDS FROM writemis·write, verb (used with object), mis·wrote, mis·writ·ten, mis·writ·ing.
Words nearby write
How to use write in a sentence
“It was ludicrous,” Troye now says, but she helped write it.A devastating picture of Trump’s coronavirus response — from a firsthand witness|Aaron Blake|September 17, 2020|Washington Post
He has been writing during unusual times, even before the pandemic spread earlier this year.The first volume of Barack Obama’s long-awaited memoir finally has a release date|Rachel King|September 17, 2020|Fortune
I’ve written before about the remarkable acceleration of digital transformation that’s taken place during the pandemic.Why Accenture thinks the ‘Henry Ford moment of the digital era’ is coming|Alan Murray|September 17, 2020|Fortune
It is fully collapsible, lightweight and offers a bold graphic “LAUNDRY” written on the side of the bin.Attractive laundry hampers that make your dirty clothes look a little better|PopSci Commerce Team|September 16, 2020|Popular-Science
We have written time and time again about the role good goaltending plays in a successful Stanley Cup run.Teams Don’t Win The Stanley Cup With A Goal Deficit. Can The Dallas Stars Change That?|Terrence Doyle|September 16, 2020|FiveThirtyEight
At some point during his busy schedule, Israel found the time to write a book, titled The Global War on Morris.Powerful Congressman Writes About ‘Fleshy Breasts’|Asawin Suebsaeng|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
My publisher had asked, “If you wanted to write another book, what would you want to write about?”
You write a lot about how you were a jerk or a snob when it came to comedy or film.
What made you want to write a memoir now about your “addiction” to film?
And “what kind of person,” Steinberg asks, “dares to write a sequel to the Bible?”
Now first we shall want our pupil to understand, speak, read and write the mother tongue well.The Salvaging Of Civilisation|H. G. (Herbert George) Wells
I've never had time to write home about it, for I felt that it required a dissertation in itself to do it justice.Music-Study in Germany|Amy Fay
The other is the new theory: that the Bible is the work of many men whom God had inspired to speak or write the truth.God and my Neighbour|Robert Blatchford
Whatever you do, don't write a word to that Carr friend of yours; he's as sharp as a two-edged sword.Elster's Folly|Mrs. Henry Wood
He must write down the first two words, “Ice” and “Slippery,” the latter word under the former.Assimilative Memory|Marcus Dwight Larrowe (AKA Prof. A. Loisette)
British Dictionary definitions for write
Derived forms of writewritable, adjective
Word Origin for write
Other Idioms and Phrases with write
In addition to the idioms beginning with write
- write down
- write in
- write off
- write one's own ticket
- write out
- write up
- nothing to write home about
Also see underwrote.