Definition for written (2 of 2)
verb (used with object), wrote or (Archaic) writ; writ·ten or (Archaic) writ; writ·ing.
verb (used without object), wrote or (Archaic) writ; writ·ten or (Archaic) writ; writ·ing.
- to set down in writing; record; note.
- to direct one's writing to a less intelligent reader or audience: He writes down to the public.
- to vote for (a candidate not listed on the ballot) by writing his or her name on the ballot.
- to include in or add to a text by writing: Do not write in corrections on the galley.
- to request something by mail: If interested, please write in for details.
- to cancel an entry in an account, as an unpaid and uncollectable debt.
- to regard as worthless, lost, obsolete, etc.; decide to forget: to write off their bad experience.
- to amortize: The new equipment was written off in three years.
- to put into writing.
- to write in full form; state completely.
- to exhaust the capacity or resources of by excessive writing: He's just another author who has written himself out.
- to put into writing, especially in full detail: Write up a report.
- to present to public notice in a written description or account.
- Accounting. to make an excessive valuation of (an asset).
Origin of write
Examples from the Web for written
Michael Kazin is a historian who has written a lot about the New Left.
The Samaritan guidelines are written around the assumption that suicide is a purely irrational act, an act spurred by illness.Cover-Ups and Concern Trolls: Actually, It's About Ethics in Suicide Journalism|Arthur Chu|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Among the characters to be portrayed were the people I had written about—the unsung heroes of the Selma campaign.Dr. King Goes to Hollywood: The Flawed History of ‘Selma’|Gary May|January 2, 2015|DAILY BEAST
It was different, he said, from any other song he had ever written.How Martin Luther King Jr. Influenced Sam Cooke’s ‘A Change Is Gonna Come’|Peter Guralnick|December 28, 2014|DAILY BEAST
This article is adapted from one written for Niqash by Khales Joumah and published December 24.Has the Kurdish Victory at Sinjar Turned the Tide of ISIS War?|Niqash|December 27, 2014|DAILY BEAST
This part of this letter was written, as Johnson goes on to say, a considerable time before the conclusion.Life Of Johnson, Volume 4 (of 6)|Boswell
About the time at which I suppose this letter to have been written there is, in fact, a payment of 40 to J.L.Great Ghost Stories|Various
I will give you what I have written, and if you choose to read it and do not like it, you can throw it into the fire.The House of Martha|Frank R. Stockton
But the letter was, as you may imagine, written so that the writer should come to no harm were it intercepted.Barry Lyndon|William Makepeace Thackeray
He had written to Maggie, and been surprised and hurt to receive no reply.Bob, Son of Battle|Alfred Ollivant
British Dictionary definitions for written (1 of 2)
British Dictionary definitions for written (2 of 2)
verb writes, writing, wrote or written
Word Origin for write
Idioms and Phrases with written
In addition to the idioms beginning with write
- write down
- write in
- write off
- write one's own ticket
- write out
- write up
- nothing to write home about
Also see underwrote.