- a place affording a view of something; position of observation: to sketch a river from the viewpoint of a bluff.
- an attitude of mind, or the circumstances of an individual that conduce to such an attitude: new marketing techniques seen from the consumer's viewpoint.
Origin of viewpoint
1855–60; alteration of point of view, modeled on standpoint
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
2. standpoint, perspective, position, stance, angle.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for viewpoint
I condemn this action from the viewpoint of the Guards and the [paramilitary] Basij.Acid Attacks on Women Spread Terror in Iran
October 18, 2014
How many times have you heard some formulation of this viewpoint?Communism's Victims Deserve a Museum
August 25, 2014
There are too many issues on which his viewpoint and mine diverge.Rand Paul and the Certification Racket
August 11, 2014
There, 9,387 white crosses are aligned so that from any viewpoint they form perfect formations.The Deadly Trap Behind D-Day’s Beaches
June 5, 2014
Sometimes the photos only vary in viewpoint; sometimes they are shot on very different kinds of film, with very different cameras.Capturing Contingency
December 16, 2013
From the viewpoint of centuries, the questions that come to us are narrowed and few.
Nevertheless, from the German viewpoint, the result achieved was worth it.
Abruptly, with a startled shock to his senses, Lee's viewpoint changed.The World Beyond
Raymond King Cummings
Its delivery was, from the viewpoint of Messrs. Young and Mullen, a success.The Portygee
Joseph Crosby Lincoln
You had to look at it from the viewpoint of a thousand years.Decision
Frank M. Robinson
- the mental attitude that determines a person's opinions or judgments; point of view
- a place from which something can be viewed
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for viewpoint
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper