- a group or combination of instruments, machinery, tools, materials, etc., having a particular function or intended for a specific use: Our town has excellent fire-fighting apparatus.
- any complex instrument or mechanism for a particular purpose.
- any system or systematic organization of activities, functions, processes, etc., directed toward a specific goal: the apparatus of government; espionage apparatus.
- Physiology. a group of structurally different organs working together in the performance of a particular function: the digestive apparatus.
Origin of apparatus
Synonyms for apparatusSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for apparatusgear, means, appliance, mechanism, machine, machinery, device, gizmo, hierarchy, bureaucracy, network, structure, jigger, doodad, gimmick, paraphernalia, dingbat, supplies, contraption, widget
Examples from the Web for apparatus
Contemporary Examples of apparatus
Safety officials believe it snapped, sending both acrobats and apparatus hurtling 25 to 40 feet to the floor.Thrills and Too Many Spills: The Dangers of the Circus
May 5, 2014
The apparatus the Clintons have in place could be a bit rusty, so this dustup is a test run for bigger battles ahead.Sharks Are Circling Around Hillary
March 13, 2014
It is difficult to have perspective on a problem when you have been personally part of the apparatus.Past Scott Walker: Fight Crosses Party Lines as California Voters Back Pension Reforms
June 7, 2012
The apparatus works its mayhem sprinkled with the Holy Water of transparency and consequences.Toyota's a Victim, Not a Villain
February 13, 2011
But for a potential presidential candidate to have no apparatus for massaging the media is remarkable.Sarah Palin's Enforcer
January 19, 2011
Historical Examples of apparatus
The apparatus and its weights are arranged in the interior of the vessel.
This apparatus is intended to carry only one person (the operator).Flying Machines
W.J. Jackman and Thos. H. Russell
With this apparatus the message was registered at the rate of six words a minute.
Wheatstone and he obtained a considerable sum for the use of their apparatus.
This was the first apparatus which printed a telegram in type.
- a collection of instruments, machines, tools, parts, or other equipment used for a particular purpose
- a machine having a specific functionbreathing apparatus
- the means by which something operates; organizationthe apparatus of government
- anatomy any group of organs having a specific function
Word Origin for apparatus
Word Origin and History for apparatus
- An integrated group of materials or devices used for a particular purpose.
- A group or system of organs that collectively performs a specific function or process.