- the part of a painted or carved surface against which represented objects and forms are perceived or depicted: a portrait against a purple background.
- the part of an image represented as being at maximum distance from the frontal plane: majestic mountains in the background.
verb (used with object)
QUIZ YOURSELF ON THE 12 TYPES OF VERB TENSES!
Idioms for background
Words nearby background
How to use background in a sentence
The victims ranged in age from 1 to 93 years old, were of all races and came from various backgrounds.Traffic counts fell during the coronavirus pandemic, but road fatalities still increased|Luz Lazo|February 12, 2021|Washington Post
Prosecutors allege Caldwell used his military and law enforcement background to plan violence — including possible snipers and weapons stashed on a boat along the Potomac River — weeks ahead of the Capitol insurrection.Former FBI official, a Navy veteran, is ‘key figure’ in Jan. 6 riot, prosecutors allege|Rachel Weiner, Spencer Hsu|February 11, 2021|Washington Post
He explains that, because of his background in chemistry, he was aware that any chemical compond can be broken down with the right solvent.Tessica Brown Successfully Removes Gorilla Glue Via Surgery|Jasmine Grant|February 11, 2021|Essence.com
The algorithm disregards irrelevant data, like types of backgrounds and model’s skin tones.Tech-savvy fashion forecasters already know what you’ll be wearing in two years|Rachael Zisk|February 10, 2021|Popular Science
It’s not often that people are able to snap a picture of an urban cougar, but no mountain lion photo may be more iconic than the 2013 image of a male cougar, prowling at night with the Hollywood sign in the background.
“We saw his background and he was a Bronx guy and we started breaking the case,” Boyce says.
The following page details a tribute gag the Simpsons team inserted into the background of a scene.Here’s the Lost Judd Apatow ‘Simpsons’ Episode, Penned by Judd Apatow|Asawin Suebsaeng|January 6, 2015|DAILY BEAST
But there's a ton of value for me in my background and my history, and losing it would be a shame.
Desert Golfing is the gaming equivalent of putting TV on in the background.Lost For Thousands of Strokes: 'Desert Golfing' Is 'Angry Birds' as Modern Art|Alec Kubas-Meyer|January 2, 2015|DAILY BEAST
But, but … there was a token black girl in the background, Target cried in its defense!One Vogue Cover Doesn’t Solve Fashion’s Big Race Problem|Danielle Belton|January 2, 2015|DAILY BEAST
There is always in the background of my mind dread lest help should reach the enemy before we have done with Sedd-el-Bahr.Gallipoli Diary, Volume I|Ian Hamilton
But she was young enough and pretty enough to pay little heed to pose or background.The Red Year|Louis Tracy
Against the blue background of the sky, green hill-tops trace an undulant line.Bastien Lepage|Fr. Crastre
There was an exclamation of horror in the background, and Monsieur de Gaubert thrust himself forward.St. Martin's Summer|Rafael Sabatini
The banks of the river are flat, and fringed with underwood and young trees; the background is formed by ranges of hills.A Woman's Journey Round the World|Ida Pfeiffer
British Dictionary definitions for background
- an inconspicuous or unobtrusive position (esp in the phrase in the background)
- (as modifier)a background influence
- the social, historical, or technical circumstances that lead up to or help to explain somethingthe background to the French Revolution
- (as modifier)background information
- a low level of sound, lighting, etc, whose purpose is to be an unobtrusive or appropriate accompaniment to something else, such as a social activity, conversation, or the action of a film
- (as modifier)background music
- unwanted effects, such as noise, occurring in a measuring instrument, electronic device, etc
- (as modifier)background interference