- pale-yellow; lemon-colored.
- a translucent, yellow variety of quartz, often sold as topaz; false topaz; topaz quartz.
Origin of citrine
Examples from the Web for citrine
Historical Examples of citrine
Tertiary Colours are three only, citrine, russet, and olive.Field's Chromatography
Warm greens contrast with purple and harmonize with citrine.
Cold greens contrast with purple and harmonize with citrine.
The citrine and the plum, however, are approximate contrasts.
Slate is made of green and violet, and is thus also related to citrine.
- a brownish-yellow variety of quartz: a gemstone; false topaz
- the yellow colour of a lemon
- (as modifier)citrine hair
lemon-colored, late 14c., from French citrin, from Latin citrus (see citrus). From 1879 as a color name.
- A pale-yellow variety of crystalline quartz resembling topaz. The coloring is caused by the presence of a small amount of iron in the crystal structure.