- the comb or caruncle of a cock.
- the cap, resembling a cock'scomb, formerly worn by professional fools.
- a garden plant, Celosia cristata, of the amaranth family, with flowers, commonly crimson or purple, in a broad spike somewhat resembling the comb of a cock.
- any of several other species of the genus Celosia.
- an elongate prickleback, Anoplarchus purpurescens, living among submerged rocks along the Pacific coast of North America.
- a gaslight burner having four or more jets.
- coxcomb(def 1).
Origin of cockscomb
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for cockscomb
I did not answer, but my face flushed as red as a cockscomb.My Double Life
Cockscomb, crimson and scarlet; two to three feet; August and September.A Woman's Hardy Garden
Helena Rutherfurd Ely
There was the twist round the head, the cockscomb, the hanging piece of liripipe.English Costume
Dion Clayton Calthrop
From the shape of the flames this form of burner received the name "cockscomb."Artificial Light
There is a row of narrow green pointed leaves, standing up like a cockscomb behind each row of flowers.Flowers Shown to the Children
C. E. Smith
- the comb of a domestic cock
- an amaranthaceous garden or pot plant, Celosia cristata, with yellow, crimson, or purple feathery plumelike flowers in a broad spike resembling the comb of a cock
- any similar species of Celosia
- informal a conceited dandy
Word Origin and History for cockscomb
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper