- existing, occurring, or living at the same time; belonging to the same time: Newton's discovery of the calculus was contemporary with that of Leibniz.
- of about the same age or date: a Georgian table with a contemporary wig stand.
- of the present time; modern: a lecture on the contemporary novel.
- a person belonging to the same time or period with another or others.
- a person of the same age as another.
Origin of contemporary
Synonyms for contemporarySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for contemporarynew, present-day, instant, current, present, recent, mod, now, latest, today, coeval, concomitant, attendant, abreast, extant, newfangled, red-hot, state-of-the-art, topical, ultramodern
Examples from the Web for contemporary
Contemporary Examples of contemporary
Some contemporary police have military backgrounds to fall back on.A Veteran’s View: NYC Cold War Between Cops and City Hall
December 29, 2014
That goes for its contemporary membership roster as well as for the photographers represented in the exhibition.
Paris as depicted by contemporary photography appears… lackluster.
But contemporary classical music has changed, and the field is now spawning many appealing and genre-bending works.The Best Albums of 2014
December 13, 2014
According to contemporary reports, at several of the truces, there were rough soccer matches between the German and British sides.Royals Remember The Christmas Truce of 1914
December 12, 2014
Historical Examples of contemporary
This statement is abundantly confirmed by contemporary facts.
Note 18: Mr. Robinson was educated at Harrow, and was a contemporary of Mr. Sheridan.Beaux and Belles of England
The period is contemporary with the peruke––the period is the peruke of style.Leading Articles on Various Subjects
The italics are ours: the satisfaction appears to be our contemporary's.
We do not care for their “ideals” expounded in contemporary histories and eulogies.
- belonging to the same age; living or occurring in the same period of time
- existing or occurring at the present time
- conforming to modern or current ideas in style, fashion, design, etc
- having approximately the same age as one another
- a person living at the same time or of approximately the same age as another
- something that is contemporary
- journalism a rival newspaper